Thursday, September 16, 2010

Open Trafikanten data, a better future ?

Bjørn started a Facebook group to push for open communications from Trafikanten and NSB. I am all for it.

Last year I tried to get access to similar information from Trafikanten and Ruter. I didn't manage to get anything.

Here's a few extract from communications I had with them.





From: Me
To: rutekonto@trafikanten.no

Subject: Programmatic cccess to "rute & sanntid" information

Hei,

I am searching for information on how to programmatically access route
and 'true-time' information for community transport services in Oslo.
The intent is to develop innovative applications related to public
transportation.

Is there someone at Trafikanten who can tell me more about this ? Or
should I contact another company (Sporveien ? NRI ?).

[...]


Answer:

viser til telefonsamtalen nå i dag. Det hadde vært fint hvis du kunne sende
noe (kort) generell informasjon om selskapet ditt på e-post, med oversikt
over for eksempel relaterte tjenester og samarbeidspartnere. Vi vil deretter
diskutere saken internt, og komme tilbake til deg.

Med vennlig hilsen
Torbjørn B.
Trafikanten AS


And after my mail:

og takk for henvendelsen, som jeg har tatt opp her internt. Som jeg nevnte i går,
har vi den type datautveksling som du skisserer, hovedsakelig mot våre etablerte
partnere. Unntaksvis har vi også samarbeidet med større partnere som Universitetet
i Oslo, Telenor og Opera Software om mer spesielle prosjekter.

Beklageligvis har vi ikke mulighet til å inngå et tilsvarende samarbeid med ditt
firma nå. Vi ønsker likevel lykke til i jakten på samarbeidspartnere!




So I turned to Ruter and here's the answer I got from them:


Hi Jerome.

Looks like you already got your answer.

Gry

-----Opprinnelig melding-----
Fra: Magne B. [mailto:xxxxxxxxxx@trafikanten.no]
Sendt: 14. april 2008 11:18
Til: I. Gry
Emne: SV: Programmatic access to "rute & sanntid" information

Hei Gry,

Han fikk svar av Torbjørn i forrige uke.

Vennlig hilsen
Magne B.


I answered:

Yes. Trafikanten said they were unable to help me, so I turn to Ruter
AS instead.

Aren't Ruter AS and Trafikanten 2 different companies ? Aren't you the
producer of the information Trafikanten exposes on the Internet ?


to which Gry answered:


Trafikanten is owned partly bu Ruter. But no, they produce most of their info themselves.

have an nice day!

Yours sincerely,

Med vennlig hilsen
Gry I.
Informasjonssjef


A few more phone calls and emails to Trafikanten, NRI, Ruter etc... Nothing productive. I also had a talk with some developers in Oslo, e.g. people from Shortcut AS.

I gave up.

The situation on this topic is hopefully to change soon ! I would love to have an API that one can use freely with a small number of requests. A la Google Maps.

Such open data developer infrastructure could be shared with all public companies in Norway.

No comments:

Post a Comment